- This event has passed.
Campus Engage – Community Engaged Learning
May 30, 2022 - July 4, 2022
The Campus Engage Community Engaged Learning course is an introductory course, exploring the basic concepts and practical steps on how to integrate community engaged learning into any teaching curriculum.
Community engaged learning is a form of experiential education with a community engagement for societal impact underpinning. Students gain academic credit for engaging and reflecting on a learning experience or piece of research in partnership with a community organisation. This allows students to explore ‘real life’ problem solving, their future role as a professional, and how they can contribute to address Irish, EU and international societal challenges.
The course is built around a series of video tutorials, solo and group activities, a selection of academic and grey reading material, and online case studies with community partners, students and academics.
Why you should take this course?
- Enhance your teaching by providing students with practical experience of applying academic learning in a real-world setting with community-based organisations.
- Contribute to students’ learning outcomes across citizenship, team work, effective communication, leadership, empathy and enhance their social capital.
- Network with community partners to open up new learning and research projects, interdisciplinary funding opportunities, or publications. No prior experience with community organisations is necessary to take this course.
- Walk away with a plan and tools to develop learning outcomes, assessment techniques, learning agreements, process guides, and case studies of successful projects.
- Become part of a national Campus Engage network of community engaged teaching and research practitioners.
- Get recognition of your CEL activities for institutional promotional criteria
Please note we have limited capacity of 40 participants. When we reach full capacity, we will keep your name on our waiting list and get in contact with details for subsequent courses.
There is no cost involved for participants.
Participants on this open course will:
- Discuss the concept of Community Engaged Learning (what it is and isn’t).
- Develop strategies for community partnerships.
- Prepare a plan for a Community Engaged Learning experience.
- Identify opportunities for Community Engaged Learning.
Expression of Interest
This call for expressions of interest is now closed.
Shortlisting may apply. Applicants will be notified as to whether their expression of interest has been accepted by 16 May 2022.
For more information, email email@example.com