Online Course: Fostering Excellence in Research Led Entrepreneurship Education Digital Badge
April 14 - May 19
The National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education are delighted to announce that the fully online Open Course, Fostering Excellence in Research Led Entrepreneurship Education, will run from April 2023. This course has been developed in partnership with Munster Technological University (MTU).
MTU fosters excellence through research led entrepreneurship education. MTU’s Hincks Centre for Entrepreneurship Excellence has designed this course specifically for entrepreneurship educators in higher education. This free, online, self-directed course with a digital badge award is funded by the National Forum.
Who is it for?
The programme will suit early-stage entrepreneurship educators and those established educators looking for new ideas, resources and opportunity to network. The programme will also suit staff who support students in entrepreneurial learning and endeavours. Participants will also have the option to be part of a growing network of entrepreneurship educators.
What is involved?
The course is online and is built around a series of videos, solo and group activities, a selection of academic and grey literature reading materials, and facilitated group activities, discussions, and reflections. To complete the course and gain the nationally recognised digital badge, you will need to commit to a total of approximately 25 learner hours, 5 online discussion sessions and spread over 6 weeks.
The course will start with a half hour introductory session on Friday the 14th April at 14:00 and will conclude on Friday the 19th May from 14:00 – 15:00. During this time, participants will guide themselves through each module, after each module, participants will meet in their triad groups which offers an opportunity for conversation, sharing ideas & experiences. After triad discussions, participants will meet online for a facilitated discussion to talk through the material from the previous session discussed in those triads.
Why should you take this course?
Entrepreneurship is recognised as a key driver positively influencing economic growth and recovery as well as improved standards of living within the economy. Fostering Entrepreneurship not only prepares and educates individuals to identify and capitalise on opportunities but also empowers them to be flexible in adapting to changing societies, economies allowing individuals to become more innovative and financially independent.
Nowadays Higher Education plays a key part in supporting learners to develop an entrepreneurial mindset that can play a major role in developing these entrepreneurial capabilities that not only benefit the individual and the economy but organisations, communities and the environment.
Participants of the course will understand the key elements of developing the entrepreneurial mindset and principles related to the purpose and practice of entrepreneurship education (EE). Participants will be able to utilise to integrate techniques and tools into their course work for greater learning outcomes and more effective assessment practices. WE also offer participants the opportunity to join a network of entrepreneurship educators.
Programme Learning Outcomes
- Incorporate entrepreneurship education into the curricula for greater impact, capability building and learner engagement
- Implement evaluation strategies for entrepreneurship education through relevant assessment methods
- Appreciate interdisciplinary, social entrepreneurship education and the entrepreneurial mindset
- Demonstrate an understanding of the evolving social demands linked with entrepreneurship education and approaches to deal with the changing socio-economic environment of today
You will learn
- How to facilitate, integrate and assess entrepreneurship education through examining the purpose and practice of entrepreneurship education in all disciplines eg. science, technology, engineering, arts and maths education (STEAM)
- The entrepreneurial mindset and frameworks and how it is facilitated through education and the relevance of such a mindset in today’s context
- To enhance entrepreneurship education through useful resources, reflection and evaluation on specific competencies to incorporate into learning/teaching
- The relevance in supporting social and entrepreneurship education and enterprise in a modern and evolving society that demands such knowledge
- The most recent and relevant entrepreneurship education theories in the literature
Session 1: Introductory: Introduce the course and each other. Precursor to session 2
Session 2: The What, Why and How of Entrepreneurship and Entrepreneurship Education
Session 3: Entrepreneurial Competencies and Mindsets
Session 4: Responsible Entrepreneurship and Sustainability in Entrepreneurship
Session 5: Key Considerations and Methods in Assessing Entrepreneurship Education
Learn online as part of a group at your own pace.
- Participants engage with each online module in a self-directed manner and can use materials to support their own teaching
- Participants will meet in triad online to reflect on their learnings and will be provided with topics for discussion
- Facilitators will lead 4 x 1 hour online sessions based on specific topics related to the previous module
- The course requires a commitment of approximately 25 learner hours
- It will take place over 6 weeks in total
- Starting: Friday 14th of April @ 14:00 – 14:30
- Concluding: Friday 19th of May @ 14:00 – 15:00
- Closing date for applications: 7th of April 2023
- Email enquiries to HincksCentre@mtu.ie
Expression of Interest
Registration is now open for the Open Course in Fostering Excellence in Research Led Entrepreneurship Education. Spaces are limited and shortlisting may apply. Registration will be open until 7 April 2023. For more information, email HincksCentre@mtu.ie.