‘Developing intercultural awareness among HEI staff’ aims to facilitate participants to develop good communication skills within a multi-cultural context.
Participants in this module will be both academic and support staff who work within a HEI, who have contact on a regular basis with students from various cultural backgrounds. By increasing their awareness of different communication styles or attitudes to authority and time keeping for example, participants will be better equipped to provide supports to International students and it will encourage an effective working relationship.
You’ll Learn to
- Develop an understanding of intercultural awareness
- Develop good communication skills within a multi-cultural context
- Develop an increased awareness of different communication styles
- Provide supports to international students to encourage an effective working relationship
On earning your open badge award for this course, you will have achieved further recognition in the following domains of the National Professional Development Framework for Staff who Teach:
- Domain 2 Professional Identity, Values and Development in Teaching and Learning focuses on the consideration of professional and/or disciplinary identity in given contexts. The domain supports critical reflection, recognising that an individual’s professional identity can change at different stages of their career.
- Domain 3 Professional Communication and Dialogue emphasises the importance of excellent, clear and coherent communication skills within the changing learning environment.
This open course has been developed by the National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education in partnership with:
Dr Lynn Ramsey
Letterkenny Institute of Technology
National University of College Galway
Facilitator-led courses run at different times throughout the year and result in a digital badge. Some are entirely online, some are blended, and others face-to-face. Additional facilitator training may be provided so that you can later facilitate your own open course.
Subscribe below for updates on facilitator led Open Courses
More courses you might like
Participants who viewed this open course have also viewed these courses.
Developer Materials (OER)
All materials generated during the development of this open course have been created (or adapted, subject to licence permissions) for use under a CC BY-NC 4.0 licence as open education resources (OER).
Individuals are free to use, share, repurpose, and remix this material. Materials may include face-to-face workshop materials and eLearning materials.
Important: Individuals are required to hold an open course facilitator badge to be eligible to issue open course badges. Learn more