The Mentoring for Equality Open Course introduces mentors to the practical steps involved in building relationships with young people. It introduces the basic concepts of equality, diversity and inclusion and walks mentors through the interactive and participatory processes that can be used to enhance positive relationship building. Upon completion of the training the mentor will have a broader understanding of the skills associated with mentoring and communicating effectively with young people.
The course involves learners’ participation in training and reflection, as well as engaging in a mentoring relationship with a young person.
You’ll Learn to
- Discuss the concepts of equality, diversity and inclusion in STEM
- Develop strategies to engage young people through group work/engagement processes
- Participate in a mentoring relationship with a young person from a diverse background
- Develop knowledge of appreciative enquiry and strengths-based approach to relationship building.
On earning your open badge award for this course, you will have achieved further recognition in the following domains of the National Professional Development Framework for Staff who Teach:
- Domain 1 The Self At the core of the domains is the centrality of ‘the Self’, recognising that the professional and personal values that the individual brings to their teaching are pivotal in their development as a teacher.
- Domain 2 Professional Identity, Values and Development in Teaching and Learning focuses on the consideration of professional and/or disciplinary identity in given contexts. The domain supports critical reflection, recognising that an individual’s professional identity can change at different stages of their career.
- Domain 3 Professional Communication and Dialogue emphasises the importance of excellent, clear and coherent communication skills within the changing learning environment.
This open course has been developed by the National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education in partnership with:
Facilitator-led courses run at different times throughout the year and result in a digital badge. Some are entirely online, some are blended, and others face-to-face. Additional facilitator training may be provided so that you can later facilitate your own open course.
Subscribe below for updates on facilitator led Open Courses
More courses you might like
Participants who viewed this open course have also viewed these courses.