This open course is an adaptation of the original National Forum PACT Commitment to Professional Development course. It has been specially adapted for librarians who teach and those who are seeking teaching roles within the profession. It is jointly recognised by both the National Forum and the Library Association of Ireland.
It is designed to place you on a professional development (PD) pathway, and is setting you up for completing a PD portfolio for the future. Professional development is something you will do every day of your life without even thinking about it; however, being conscious of the development you undertake will allow you to record this and develop in a systematic and authentic way. This open course recognises the importance of placing PD into a demanding academic schedule, and considers strategies for both how to embark on PD and self-manage the process. It is designed to encourage you to be proactive in order to begin the process of developing your current role, achieving greater satisfaction and effectiveness in your current work or taking a new career direction.
[This initiative builds upon the L2L project which was a 2017 collaboration between the National Forum and three higher educational institution libraries. (Dundalk, Carlow and TU Dublin)]
You’ll Learn to
- Reflect on what is involved in making a commitment to your own Professional Development as a teaching librarian
- Explore and demonstrate familiarity with the National PD Framework and the LAI Professional Knowledge & Skills Base Framework
- Be informed by other librarians who have already used the PD Framework and Identify key actions from these conversations for your own PD practice
- Create an ePortfolio to record and reflect on CPD activities. Identify ‘next steps’ – moving from reflecting on PD to undertaking it.
On earning your open badge award for this course, you will have achieved further recognition in the following domains of the National Professional Development Framework for Staff who Teach:
- Domain 1 The Self At the core of the domains is the centrality of ‘the Self’, recognising that the professional and personal values that the individual brings to their teaching are pivotal in their development as a teacher.
- Domain 2 Professional Identity, Values and Development in Teaching and Learning focuses on the consideration of professional and/or disciplinary identity in given contexts. The domain supports critical reflection, recognising that an individual’s professional identity can change at different stages of their career.
This open course has been developed by the National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education in partnership with:
National College of Ireland
Dublin Business School
This open course is offered as facilitator led.
Facilitator-led courses run at different times throughout the year and result in a digital badge. Some are entirely online, some are blended, and others face-to-face. Additional facilitator training may be provided so that you can later facilitate your own open course.
To complete the course and gain the nationally-recognised joint digital badge, you will need to commit to a total of 25 learner hours, spread over six weeks. The course will...
More courses you might like
Participants who viewed this open course have also viewed these courses.