Supervision of postgraduate research students requires an awareness of national and international contexts of local policy and procedures governing supervision.
It requires an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of the supervisor and of the range of effective practices available to new and experienced supervisors.
Supervisors require support in developing a personal and effective toolkit which will assist them in the ongoing development of their practice.
You’ll Learn to
- Identify key regulations and policies around the education of research postgraduates, and clarify roles and responsibilities of supervisors
- Apply regulations and policies in response to a number of case studies/scenarios
- Review video or paper resource and reflect on your own supervisory approach based on this
- Identify key actions from this learning for your own supervisory practice
On earning your open badge award for this course, you will have achieved further recognition in the following domains of the National Professional Development Framework for Staff who Teach:
- Domain 2 Professional Identity, Values and Development in Teaching and Learning focuses on the consideration of professional and/or disciplinary identity in given contexts. The domain supports critical reflection, recognising that an individual’s professional identity can change at different stages of their career.
- Domain 4 Professional Knowledge and Skills ensures the individual remains current in terms of their professional/disciplinary knowledge and can implement teaching, learning and assessment approaches which promote active learning and are underpinned by a strong evidence base.
This open course has been developed by the National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education in partnership with:
Dr Catherine O’Mahony
University College Cork
University College Cork
Dr Niall Smith
Munster Technological University
Dr Lucy Byrnes
National University of Ireland Galway
Dr Brendan Jennings
Waterford Institute of Technology
Dublin City University
Enroll in this Course
Learn as part of a group in an upcoming facilitator led programme
Facilitator-led courses run at different times throughout the year and result in a digital badge. Some are entirely online, some are blended, and others face-to-face. Additional facilitator training may be provided so that you can later facilitate your own open course.
Subscribe below for updates on facilitator led Open Courses
More courses you might like
Participants who viewed this open course have also viewed these courses.
Developer Materials (OER)
All materials generated during the development of this open course have been created (or adapted, subject to licence permissions) for use under a CC BY-NC 4.0 licence as open education resources (OER).
Individuals are free to use, share, repurpose, and remix this material. Materials may include face-to-face workshop materials and eLearning materials.
Important: Individuals are required to hold an open course facilitator badge to be eligible to issue open course badges. Learn more