This Open Course is for anyone supporting teaching or other support staff to take the first steps into online teaching.
Online course development is very much an iterative process so getting started will allow lecturers to build their confidence and experience, try out a few approaches and focus on improvements. Online course design is best approached as a collaborative process with lecturers working with their peers to plan and develop their modules. Similarly, these professional development workshops are designed to be as collaborative as possible.
You’ll Learn to
- Develop an understanding of the student perspective of what it is like to study online
- Apply principles of online module design including a range of assessment options
- Develop online activities and open education resources and approaches to media creation
- Experience online facilitation and interaction including some strategies for engaging students in the online space (towards building a learning community)
On earning your open badge award for this course, you will have achieved further recognition in the following domains of the National Professional Development Framework for Staff who Teach:
- Domain 3 Professional Communication and Dialogue emphasises the importance of excellent, clear and coherent communication skills within the changing learning environment.
- Domain 4 Professional Knowledge and Skills ensures the individual remains current in terms of their professional/disciplinary knowledge and can implement teaching, learning and assessment approaches which promote active learning and are underpinned by a strong evidence base.
- Domain 5 Personal and Professional Digital Capacity recognises explicitly that we live and work in a digital world, and that teachers must develop digital skills that allow them to harness the potential of technology for learning impact.
This open course has been developed by the National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education in partnership with:
Dr Dara Cassidy
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
University of Limerick
Gearoid O’ Suilleabhain
Munster Technological University
Facilitator-led courses run at different times throughout the year and result in a digital badge. Some are entirely online, some are blended, and others face-to-face. Additional facilitator training may be provided so that you can later facilitate your own open course.
Subscribe below for updates on facilitator led Open Courses
More courses you might like
Participants who viewed this open course have also viewed these courses.
Developer Materials (OER)
All materials generated during the development of this open course have been created (or adapted, subject to licence permissions) for use under a CC BY-NC 4.0 licence as open education resources (OER).
Individuals are free to use, share, repurpose, and remix this material. Materials may include face-to-face workshop materials and eLearning materials.
Important: Individuals are required to hold an open course facilitator badge to be eligible to issue open course badges. Learn more